Walmart was started in 1945 by Sam Walton but it took seven whole years for him to open a second store. Rapid growth took 25 years, until 1970 in fact. It’s now the world’s biggest retailer. Walmart’s story shows that slow growth is completely normal—even successful companies take a long time to get things right.
In essence, overnight success does not exist. At the very least, it is statistically so rare that people would have a better chance at “succeeding” by playing the lottery.
What most people call overnight success is actually the market suddenly realizing the value of a great product or service that had been kept in obscurity for too long while its creators refused to give up.
Across the world, e-commerce is booming, which means there has never been a better time to be an online seller. All you need is ambition and to follow these 5 golden rules of e-commerce to ensure your business is a success with The Unseen Market.
- Make your sure page loads fast Don’t fall at the first hurdle! In our “on demand” world, people expect things right away. Ensure your e-commerce website loads quickly, otherwise impatient visitors will move on.
- Hook them on the home page Remember, first impressions count. Your home page should be welcoming and clearly communicate your brand proposition. But don’t overdo it – a cluttered page will overwhelm customers who won’t know where to begin. Prioritize an easily found search bar and photos of some of your best-selling products to hook customers in. Oh, and keep annoying pop-ups to a minimum.
- Make navigation simple and intuitive A powerful search bar and menu are both important to help customers find what they’re looking for as quickly as possible. Let customers filter their results too, by price, color, size etc. With time and machine learning, your site will be able to offer more accurate, relevant results.
- Offer real-time customer service Integrating a live chat feature onto your e-commerce platform means you can answer customer questions and make product suggestions instantly – which means more chance of a sale.
- Utilize customer data This is your golden ticket to building a better user experience across your e-commerce channels. You can see how your customers shop – what they spend time looking at, what pages they leave quickly, where cart abandonment happens the most. From here, you can improve your weak spots.
E-Commerce SEO FAQs
E-commerce search engine optimization (SEO) is optimizing an online store to generate more organic traffic from search engine results pages. It utilizes different strategies to increase online visibility, drive traffic to the website, and improve the overall user experience. E-commerce SEO practices typically include keyword research, content creation, on-page optimization, link building, and technical SEO. These processes are tailored to the store’s niche, website structure, social media signals, product offerings, and other factors.
With most consumers researching and purchasing products online, e-commerce SEO is now crucial for all online stores. Without it, your store will have difficulty thriving in an increasingly competitive business landscape. With e-commerce SEO, you can gain more visibility and establish a solid online presence. This will help attract customers and drive organic traffic to your site. It will also help improve user experiences that lead to higher conversions and customer retention. Ultimately, it increases revenue for your business and paves the way for business growth.
E-commerce SEO can be a powerful tool for increasing online sales and growing your business. It does so in several ways, including: - Optimizing your website for SERPs to drive more organic traffic to your store. - Improving customer targeting to generate more qualified leads. - Optimizing user experiences on your website to increase conversion and customer satisfaction, and - - Establishing your credibility and authority in your niche or industry. By investing in SEO strategies tailored to your unique needs, you can attract more customers, increase conversions, and achieve your revenue goals.
Yes, it can. While e-commerce SEO is primarily focused on helping your website rank on SERPs, it also indirectly helps you rank higher on Amazon, Etsy, Shopify, eBay, and other marketplaces. E-commerce SEO improves your online visibility and reputation. This strengthens online presence, even in marketplaces. Moreover, e-commerce SEO optimizes your product listings for specific keywords and phrases. This makes your products more visible not only in search engines but in marketplaces as well.
Yes. When done well, e-commerce SEO can help smaller online retailers like you compete with larger retailers in their industry. It can give you the competitive edge to establish and grow your business. Keyword targeting helps level the playing field by allowing you to compete for highly specific niche keywords. Website optimization enables you to provide a better user experience that differentiates you from the competition. Localization brings you in front of more audiences in your area. These and other e-commerce SEO tactics can arm you with the tools you need to combat the giants in your niche.
Your e-commerce SEO efforts will not lead to an overnight miracle. It will take time to see the results. Many factors can affect outcomes, including your current website SEO, the size of your e-commerce store, the state of your market, and the specific SEO strategies you use. Because e-commerce SEO requires constant monitoring and adjustment, it can take months before you see significant results. However, while initial results take time, long-term outcomes will give you good returns on your investment. E-commerce SEO is undoubtedly a highly effective strategy for increasing sales and growing your business.